Drooling

Lyn's drooling is pretty much constant now.  While I was there last month, Mom told me about the time when Lyn was two or three and at the special pre-school.  Lyn was a near constant drooler then too.

The speech therapist asked for a meeting with both Mom and my father.  When she had them in her office, she proceeded to explain that she'd like to use a tool to help Lyn learn to control her drooling.  they agreed that Lyn needed help and asked about the tool and approach.  The therapist explained that the tool would help tighten Lyn's facial muscles through exercise.  The therapist asked that they not get upset when she showed it too them because it was only used for this purpose and with that, she reached into her desk drawer and pulled out a full sized vibrator.

They were surprised but agreed to let her try working with Lyn.  Lyn quickly learned to stop drooling.

As Mom relayed this memory to me, I howled with laughter.  I'm sure they were stunned and confused.  So, I asked, what would Lyn's current therapist recommend?  Do they still use vibrators for this purpose?  We resolved to find out.

Mom finally got a chance to ask Lyn's current speech therapist.  She updated me with the following:

"I remembered to ask about the drooling.  She said that some therapists do use a vibrator but it's a small device.  She does use a small one for clients who have oral problems such as not liking someone touching the face.  She said there's no scientific proof that using a vibrator around the mouth helps with drooling.  It doesn't tighten the muscles.  The ability to not drool is more of being conscience of doing it.  She's not in the "pro" crowd for doing anything to stop Lyn's drooling.

Lyn then piped in and said "I can't help it.  It's just me."  LOL"

Comments

Popular Posts