Increase the Risk

In today's news, I read that contracting herpes simplex increases the risk of developing Alzheimer's in later life.  The most commonly recognized risk factors are age, genetics and family history.  However, I regularly read speculation on other interactions which may increase the risk of developing the disease.

The list now includes:


The good news is that aluminum has been removed from the list.

What this tells us is that Alzheimer's is a very complex disease involving multiple systems in the body.  Each one of those risk factors can be the focus of scientific investigation which may lead to another piece in the treatment puzzle. Some of the factors listed above can be mitigated by changes in how we care for ourselves.  Some we cannot change.  While I can work to reduce my BMI, changing my gender at a genetic level really isn't an option.




Comments

Popular Posts