Entering a New Stage?

I believe we may be entering a new stage with Lyn.  I think she's transitioning from mild to moderate Alzheimer's.  As I mentioned yesterday, her language faculties are decreasing.  Unfortunately, her moodiness and hostility is increasing.

She's always been temperamental, but we could previously identify causes to her moods.  This is becoming more difficult to discern.  Take, for example, her speech therapy session on Monday.  Mom writes:


"Lyn was in a bad mood and it showed.  Her thoughts were all over the place, it was difficult to follow any train of thought.  If I said anything Lyn would snap at me, contradict me, then glare.  So I hushed.  Her speech therapist tried to get her to stretch to get blood moving.  Lyn had eaten a bowl of oatmeal which usually helps her mood.  Finally, after the struggle, the speech therapist cut the session short by 10 minutes.  Lyn went into her room and the therapist looked so confused.  I told her this didn't kick in until after she had arrived.  I apologized.  

The therapist has another dementia patient and has noticed that a few days after he finishes antibiotics his mood is ugly.  Lyn had finished antibiotics a few days earlier for her sinus infection and we wonder.  When our neighbor got into the car Lyn was very quiet.  After dropping Lyn off at day hab, our neighbor commented that she seemed "off".  I told her about earlier and we agreed these will come into play more and more often."

If Lyn is moving into the moderate stage of Alzheimer's, she's entering a very difficult stage.  I cannot say if one stage is harder on her than another.  However, this stage is particularly difficult for the care givers because of the increased aggression and confusion.  This is the stage where there may be hallucinations, paranoia and delusions.  If an individual is going to become physically aggressive, it is at this point in the progression of their disease.  She may begin to get confused and believe that a person is someone else entirely.  Illness will exacerbate her symptoms and increase the recognizable rate of decline.

I know what I wrote above sounds clinical.  That's my writing voice.  I worry deeply about them both.  If Lyn is entering this stage, I hope she passes through it quickly.  


Comments

Popular Posts