Heading Home


Do you ever stop thinking of your home town as "home"?  I've lived in Virginia for 24 years and I still think of New Mexico as home.  

It's that time of year for my family and I to make our annual pilgrimage to NM.  I hear the chile harvest has come in early and I'm honestly looking forward to the smell of roasting green chile.  They're having a monsoon this year and we might have rain.  That may not seem exciting but they've had drought for years and the state will be as close to green as it gets.  

We know we'll visit Carson at her ranch, have portraits made and go bowling.  We know we'll go by "the burrito store" so my little one can get a burrito through the drive up.  Of course, the real New Mexicans in the car forgo the chile but the rest of us indulge.  The Virginians will eat chile with nearly everything as though a week's worth of chile should last us through the year.  (It doesn't.)  

I know we'll have to sit down with Lyn to review the list of activities she's been composing for months to pick a few things to do.  There's no way we can do them all.  If Lyn objects, I'll get my husband to tell her it is OK and she'll believe him.  Work necessitated a change in our schedule for the first time that I can recall.  Some of the things we wanted to do have had to be set aside this year.  It just gives us more to select from next year.

We'll see Mom and Lyn before we sleep tonight and we're looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular Posts