Be Kind

Several years ago, I encountered the online presence of Kid President and fell in love.  I have shared his pep-talks with friends and colleagues.  He is adorable and inspiring in equal measures.  His messages may seem so simple but are refreshing after some of the toxicity we encounter each day.

Yesterday, he posted "Be kind. It's not always easy, but it's always important."

This struck a chord with me.

We go through our days trying to check things off our list of what we need or want to do.  We don't always stop to think about what others are needing.  When you're a care giver, you often don't have the luxury of being selfish with your time.  You may find yourself frustrated and feeling overwhelmed.  But there may come a moment when your encounter with another person who you realize needs your kindness more than anything else right now.

Being kind to each other doesn't have to be big gestures.  Sometimes the big gestures are important and meaningful like jumping in the car and driving over to help someone you love just because you know they need your help.  Moving?  I'm there to move boxes.  Surgery to recover from?  I can make you a meal.  Having a baby?  Let me make you a blanket/stuffed toy/bibs or all of the above.  At other times, being kind can be as small as one sentence.  "You have a great smile!"  "Your scarf is beautiful."  "Let me get that for you."  Recently, I saw adults cry when they were told "I'm proud of you."

I worry about the tone of certain dialogues in the US right now.  I worry that it feels like we are increasingly in-tolerant of each other and I deeply hope that reality is different than what we see in our Facebook feeds or on the news.  Sometimes, I call Mom and Lyn and just listen to them tell me about their day because it puts a different perspective on things for me.  They both appreciate the call and consider it a kindness that I check on them frequently.  They don't realize I benefit from it as well.

Be kind to each other.


Comments

Popular Posts