Short Term What?

Friday night, Mom wrote the following to me:

Normally on Fridays, Lyn is picked up by her respite provider by 4:30 pm.  Today about 4:00, she called and said she was running late & would pick her up between 5:00 & 5:15.  As soon as I hung up the phone I called Lyn and told her.  She said "ok, traffic is bad on Friday."  I agreed & left it at that.  She turned, went into her room then immediately came back and asked "is (she) getting me today?"  I said "yes, but remember she'll be a little late and be here at 5."  She went back to her room then in about 5 min came back and asked me the same thing.  I told her I must have forgotten to tell her that her respite provider will be a little later than usual but she will be here.  She came back a 3rd time and asked again.  She really didn't remember.  I could see it in her eyes.  I told her "yes, she will be here."

A couple of months ago I would have gotten mad, told her she wasn't paying attention and probably wouldn't have repeated my answer so much.  But with what's been happening I have found a well a patience and reached down into it.  I watch Lyn’s eyes which tell me more than her mouth.

Comments

Popular Posts