Gold and Silver

I just spent a week with Mom and Lyn.  It was a good week and I'll catch you up on it over the next couple of days.  However, I wanted to share something with you that I found as I was packing to return home.  My eldest slept in one of Lyn's two rooms.  When I went in to double check that all of my child's belongings were accounted for, I found a number of pictures sitting scattered across the dresser and around her television.  These two were in the mix.


In 1992 or 1993, Lyn won another gold and silver for her efforts in the Summer Special Olympics games.  I was off to college at that time and had never seen this picture until finding it this past weekend.  Lyn's smile is so big and genuine here.  She's proud of her efforts and happy to pose for the camera.

In 1998, Lyn was New Mexico's first female athlete to compete in the pentathlon.  The Special Olympics pentathlon is comprised of the 100m sprint, long jump, shot put, high jump, and the 400m run.  The event takes endurance, strength and flexibility.  Lyn had all of those traits as an athlete in her 20's.

She was the only female athlete in the pentathlon that year.  She competed and took the gold and was just as proud of that as she was of any of her other competitions.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts