1 in 7

Did you know that one in seven people with Alzheimer's disease live alone?  When you factor in the other causes of dementia, that number goes up to as much as one in four.


While some families may choose to have their family member with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia continue living alone, I wonder how many of the rest are living alone because they have no family member or friend to serve as a care giver.  Being a care giver is a tremendous burden to place upon someone if they are unwilling or unable to meet the demands of the work it entails.

I am extremely thankful that my sister is receiving the care she needs.  My mother is a gift beyond compare.


Additional Information:
Alzheimer's Association's 2012 Facts and Figures
Alzheimer's Society (UK) - Living Alone
Living Alone with Dementia
Living Alone with Dementia: Lack of Awareness Adds to Functional and Cognitive Vulnerabilities
Dementia Live Alone

Comments

  1. Thank you but I question myself, especially this past week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts