Merry Christmas

Thank you for joining us on this journey.

Six months ago, we were reeling from Lyn's dementia diagnosis.  We didn't know where it would take us or what we would learn along the way.  We still don't.  Dementia and the changes it brings is so individualized that no two patients will progress through their declines in the same manner or at the same pace.  Finding information on how dementia impacts those with impaired cognitive abilities is a challenge and so I keep finding myself at the realization that what Lyn experiences is somewhat unchartered waters.

When I proposed starting this blog to Mom, I did so with two purposes.  First and foremost, I needed a way to easily share information with Mom.  While this could have been achieved just through email, I wanted to have a more permanent record that we could both easily go back and refer to as needed.  So, a shared repository of the information made most sense.  Second, I wanted to gather the information and resources together for other families who may find themselves in the place where intellectual disability and dementia overlap.

It is a bit of a specialized spot.  However, it is my long-term hope that the information gathered here and the stories about Lyn become useful to other families who are faced with adding dementia into their lives.

As you read through the entries, I highly encourage you to join in the conversation.  Your comments are most welcome!  I may not always respond because I believe that some comments are able to stand on their own and because, like you, I have a full life away from the blog.  If you find a link of interest in your wandering around the web, please feel free to send it my way.  I maintain a list of resources for future blog posts and am always on the look out for more.

A friend of mine recently asked if she could share this blog with her daughter.  I had to laugh because the blog is out publicly and I welcome you pointing others our way.  It does not matter to me if you are in the communities who care for the intellectually disabled or those with dementia.  It does not matter if you are reading because you're a friend or family member keeping tabs on my sister.  All are welcome.

Thank you for reading and learning along with us.  May today and everyday bring you a smile and a moment of joy.


Christmas 1997 - Virginia

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts