Slow Recovery

Lyn's recent illness took her longer to recover from than previous bouts.  Typically, she would have a sinus infection annually.  Once it was identified and she was placed on antibiotics, recovery was usually pretty quick.  She would be down for a couple of days, napping during the afternoons and not really going out much in the evenings.  When she was working, she might miss a day of work as a result of a sinus infection.

This last infection was sinus, ear and upper respiratory before it was over.  It hit her harder and lasted longer than an infection has since she was an infant.  Mom, as my sister's care provider, has to maintain a notebook on Lyn's activities each day.  This notebook has been maintained since Lyn was put into her current case management through New Mexico's disability waiver program.  It has allowed us to recognize that Lyn's infections have gotten worse and taken longer for her to recover from over the past few years.

On Christmas Eve, Mom could finally tell that Lyn was on the mend.  She had developed a case of attitude:

     About 11:30 in the morning, I heard her say something about lunch.
     I said "Ok, but let me finish this first."  Big mistake.  I should have asked her to please repeat
     what was said.  She then said she needed to get her shoes on.  What?

     I went to her room to ask her why she needed to put them on and was informed that  she wanted
     to "go" get lunch.  I realize how cruel I can be and here was proof.  I was saying no.  "We'll eat
     here" and proceeded with a couple of suggestions for lunch.

     "But I want to go get something."
     I asked if she had any dollars.
     "No, but I have all this."  She had poured lots of coins on her bed.  There must have been $30
     in change.  I still said no.  I told her I knew she hadn't been anywhere all week because of being
     sick but we weren't going out till tonight.  The Look was given!  I then offered 2 choices for lunch
     and she said she didn't know what she wanted.  About 10 min later she said she "guessed" she
     would take leftover spaghetti.  I was supposed to feel guilty but I didn't.

This is another aspect of the "new normal" for Mom and Lyn.  The growing damage in Lyn's brain makes it harder for her body to recover from any other illness at hand.

Additional Information Source:
The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer's Disease, Related Dementias, and Memory Loss

Comments

Popular Posts